Article I: Name
The name of the organization shall be the Ontario Council for University Lifelong Learning (OCULL). As an affiliate of the Council of Ontario Universities (COU), OCULL reports through the Ontario Council of Academic Vice-Presidents (OCAV).
Article II: Aims and Objectives
The aim of the Council shall be to provide a forum for university personnel associated with degree and non-degree university distance and continuing education programs whereby distance and continuing education as basic functions and responsibilities of the university may be promoted and acted upon.
The Council shall:
- Promote public recognition of university distance and continuing education as a major source of lifelong learning opportunities for adults in Ontario:
- Represent and advocate on behalf of university distance and continuing education in organizations and bodies focused on the education and training of adults in Ontario;
- Build partnerships with educational systems and institutions, non-governmental organizations, government and industry for the benefit of client groups and members;
- Support and encourage collaboration and exchange of information and ideas among university distance and continuing education faculty and staff;
- Encourage and stimulate professional development and excellence among its members; and
- Encourage interaction and collaboration with professional organizations (such as the Canadian Association for University Continuing Education, or CAUCE) in whatever endeavours have been mutually agreed upon to fulfill the respective objectives of the associations.
Article III: Membership
Membership shall be open to university personnel associated with distance education or continuing education, or extension, or adult education or summer school, or part-time studies in the institutions whose Executive Heads are members of the Council of Ontario Universities.
Article IV: Voting
On matters of business calling for official action by the Council, each member institution has one vote. This vote will be vested in the head (dean or director) of the university's central distance education or continuing education, or lifelong learning unit, or such other person as delegated by her/him to vote on her/his behalf.
Article V: Officers
The officers of the Council shall be the Past President, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Chair of the Distance and Online Learning Community of Practice. The officers shall be elected annually. The President's elected term of office may be renewed once.
Article VI: Committees
- There shall be an Executive Committee comprising the officers of the Council, two members elected from the Council, the CAUCE Executive Member for Central Canada (ex-officio, voting), a CNIE Representative from an Ontario institution whose executive head is a member of COU (ex-officio, voting) and the MTCU Liaison (ex-officio, non-voting).
- The Council in session or the Executive Committee shall invite other ex-officio Executive Committee members as may be deemed necessary for effectively carrying out the objectives of the Council. Voting rights of such ex-officio members will be determined at such time.
- There shall be a Nominations Committee comprised of the immediate past-president, who shall be chair, and the two other most recent past-presidents, or others as assigned by the Executive Committee.
- There shall be a Distance and Online Learning Community of Practice comprising of one voting representative designated by each member university that chooses to participate. Institutions with separate administrative jurisdiction for non-degree and degree distance education may, upon approval by the Council, be exempted from the one representative rule. A Chair and secretary shall be elected biannually from among the membership of the Distance and Online Learning Community of Practice.
- The Council in session or the Executive Committee shall establish or abolish such standing or Ad Hoc Committees as may be deemed necessary for effectively carrying out the objectives of the Council.
Article VII: Duties of the Distance and Online Learning Community of Practice
The Distance and Online Learning Community of Practice shall support the aims and objectives of the Council, as stated in Article II, with special emphasis on distance education research, programs and advocacy among and by Ontario Universities. It shall do this through performing the following duties and responsibilities:
- Liaison with outside agencies concerning matters relating directly to distance education;
- Negotiations for outside funding for research, subject to the constraints of the Constitution and policies of the Council, as they may be established from time to time.
Article VIII: Meetings
There shall be at least one meeting each year, the time and place of which shall be established by the Council in session.
The Executive Committee shall be responsible for the construction of the agenda of such meetings and shall issue an invitation to OCAV and COU Secretariat staff to attend for those portions of the agenda that would be of interest to them.
Article IX: Relations to Council of Ontario Universities
The Council shall report periodically upon request to the Council of Ontario Universities through OCAV, with respect to those interests and functions that fall within the activities of the Council of Ontario Universities.
Original constitution November 1994.
Revised by OCULL and approved by OCAV, October 17, 2008.